Breaking Bad, Vince Gilligan regularly wrote episodes for The X-Files. There are a number of small references to The X-Files in Breaking Bad and there are a number of cast members who have appeared in both series.
- The cigarette brand smoked by Emilio Koyama and thrown from the RV is "Morley", the same fictional brand smoked by the Cigarette Smoking Man.
- The title of the episode ""is a reference to one of the Cigarette Smoking Man's aliases.
- The time shown on the clock in Gale's Apartment is 10:13. The number 1013 is used frequently in The X-Files as a reference to its creator's birthday.
- In the episode "Unruhe" written by Gilligan the killer's camper van is the same used in Breaking Bad for cooking meth.
- Dan Wachsberger uses the same bank as Fox Mulder.
- The van rental company used by Patrick Kuby to rent a van for Walter White is also used in 4 episodes of The X-Files.
- When Hank Schrader and Steven Gomez are looking at a bulletin board full of Gustavo Fring's associates in season 5, episode 4 of Breaking Bad, "Fifty-One", the spot where Tuco Salamanca's picture should be is labeled 'Eladio Buente' Eladio Buente is the protagonist of the X-Files Episode "El Mundo Gira", season 4, episode 11. Tuco Salamanca and Eladio Buente were both played by actor Raymond Cruz.
- "Eladio Buente", the character played by Cruz in The X-Files, is one letter away from - though sounds the same as - Eladio Vuente.
- Mike Ehrmantraut's surname is referenced when Mulder makes phone calls in the 10th episode called Tithonus.
Cast members who have appeared in both Breaking Bad and The X-Files
- Bryan Cranston ("Walter White" & "Patrick Garland Crump")
- Aaron Paul ("Jesse Pinkman" & "David Winkle")
- Dean Norris ("Hank Schrader" & "US Marshal Tapia")
- Michael Shamus Wiles ("George Merkert" & "The Black-Haired Man")
- Raymond Cruz ("Tuco Salamanca" & "Eladio Buente")
- Javier Grajeda ("Juan Bolsa" & "Desk Sergeant")
- Danny Trejo ("Tortuga" & "Cesar Ocumpo")
- Dale Dickey ("Spooge's Lady" & "Game Warden")
- Dan Desmond ("Mr. Gardiner" & "Harry Odell")
- John Koyama ("Emilio Koyama" & stunt performer)
- Michael Bowen ("Jack Welker" & "Dwight Cooper")
- Jim Beaver ("Lawson" & "Coroner")