Why would Walt grow Lily of the valey in his own house? He has 2 kids already. Isn't he just risking their lives for it is well known for kids to play with it and get poisoned? Or was this Plant chosen as a convenience to the plot?
If this is explained somewhere in the series, please give specifics. Would like to watch it one more time. :)
I have no answer to that. But i want to add something about the lily of the valley shot at the last moment of the episode(forgot which episode but at the last scene). Why there's a card to that plant? Is it can be used as an evidence to link Walt to that Brock's poision if the police find out?
For once i thought the card that place at the plant is to show that someone (Walt's enemies) sending a message to Walt that their threatening Walt. Just my opinion.
The only reason why I would think Walt would grow Lily of the Valley in his home is because they have small white flowers which may be pretty, depending on your aesthetic tastes. Maybe it was Skyler who bought them, but it is strange that they have that poisonous plant in their home, especially when they have a small baby.
@Paanhalim, you're right, it was irresponsible of Walt to leave that little identification tag inside the plant. What if Jesse saw it one day when he was at Walt's house? Either way, I think the card was left there on purpose so it could be shown at the end of that one episode, as the camera slowly zooms in to it. It was mainly for the audience's surprise.
Or he bought it the day it's first shown, with the poisoning plan in mind.
Lily of the valley flowers in spring, and the red berries (that Brock supposedly ate) appear later, maturing in the fall. Walt's plant that we see in the episode clearly has white flowers, not berries, so there's something off in the chronology of this plot. Am I the only one who noticed this?
In the Spring my garden is smothered in Lily of the Valley; they are the most exquisite, highly-scented flowers.
They can be poisonous if ingested (as can many other flowers and plants, especially lilies---lily pollen is also highly toxic to cats). Can't say I've ever seen a red berry on a lily of the valley plant, though.
Our family has grown masses of them over three generations. No one has ever been poisoned.
I haven't seen this episode yet (I'm a recent convert) but I think you'd need more than one little plant in a pot to extract enough poison to kill a child. I'd say this was a case of artistic licence...
What do you think?